• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Collecting unemployment due to a family member

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vstelfox2000

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Minnesota

Can I collect unemployment if I needed to leave my job due caring for my medically fragile daughter?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Not to mention the fact that it is very difficult to collect unemployment if you quit, and in the overwhelming majority of the time, on those rare occasions when UI is approved after a quit, it's because of quitting for a reason attributable to the employer. This would not work in your case.

Now, that being said, there are a couple of states where one can quit and collect for a compelling personal reason. That ability may be limited to certain reasons. I believe there is a state or two where caring for an ill family member can, on occasion, be approved.

I do not know whether MN is one of those states, and the problem is that the UI office will not tell you if you would be approved until after you have already quit. If you're declined AND THE ODDS ARE THAT YOU WOULD BE you're then stuck with no job and no income. But it wouldn't hurt for you to call the UI office, on your own time and not from work, and inquire whether it is EVER possible to quit for this reason and be approved. Do not expect them to tell you whether you will be approved or not. They will not. But they may tell you whether or not such an option exists under your state's laws. You would then have to decide whether or not to take the risk.

This is very, very much a long shot. I do not always agree with swalsh but in this case I think the odds she is giving you are a bit too generous. I'd say more like 999 to 1 no. But it never hurts to ask.

commentator

A caveat here. They may not even give you the time of day if you call and ask a general question like this. Look on your state's websites, and look in particular at the "general questions and answers" section. But in most cases, in most states, in fact, in all states, to qualify for unemployment benefits, you must be able, available and actively seeking other work. So probably no, even though your daughter is medically fragile, and this is documented, if you quit your job to care for her, there isn't much chance AT ALL that you will be able to draw unemployment benefits. As they continuously point out, unemployment insurance is NOT sick leave, medical insurance or for those who are not able to work. Have you considered FMLA to care for her, perhaps intermittent FMLA?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">