• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Collecting Unemployment while Student Teaching

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MRye

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

I must leave my full-time job in order to student teach for one semester. Is there any way I'll be able to collect unemployment if I leave for this reason?

Anyone know anything about this?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

I must leave my full-time job in order to student teach for one semester. Is there any way I'll be able to collect unemployment if I leave for this reason?

Anyone know anything about this?
You mean - you wish to voluntarily quit AND collect unemployment?

MRye

Well, it's not really voluntary. I HAVE to quit in order to fullfill my degree requirement.

I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with this.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Well, it's not really voluntary. I HAVE to quit in order to fullfill my degree requirement.

I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with this.
So, you HAVE to get a degree to continue working at your current job?

MRye

Zigner, look - I don't need obnoxious responses. I have a legitimate question for a legitimate need.

I was just looking for advice from people who may know something about the topic. Your little signatures under your name indicate that you seem to think you are quite superior to others, so why don't you just ignore my question if you don't have legitimate help.

FlyingRon

Zigner, look - I don't need obnoxious responses. I have a legitimate question for a legitimate need.
The response wasn't obnoxious. Does your current job have anything to do with the teacher certification. We can't operate in a vacuum of information
I was just looking for advice from people who may know something about the topic. Your little signatures under your name indicate that you seem to think you are quite superior to others, so why don't you just ignore my question if you don't have legitimate help.
Insulting the board regulars isn't going to get you "legitimate" help.

ecmst12

In order to collect unemployment, you must be AVAILABLE to work and ACTIVELY SEEKING work. That means even if they accept your reason for quitting (unlikely), you won't be able to collect because you don't fulfill the availability requirement.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">