• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Collections agency

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BaSICCally

What is the name of your state? Washington

Hi, due to wrongfull firing I have to pay back what I "stole", so now instead of dealing with the company, I am now paying a collections agency.

So my question is this. What can a collections agency do or cannot do? what rights do I have?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I'm sorry, I don't mean to be rude, but how do you possibly expect us to answer that question when you have provided NO information about what happened?

BTW, about 95% of people who think they were wrongfully terminated, weren't.

BaSICCally

Alright ill give you a brief summary of what happened.

You know the "club" cards at grocery stores? well I used the card for customers who did not have one or forgot theirs. The Kroger company was cutting hours and the lines were getting long so the most quick and effecient way I could possible find to get the customers through the line was by using this fake club card.

So with that said, one day a fellow employee came through my line. I diddnt charge him for the total ammount of the beer. This wasnt the first time this had happend. I maybe hooked him up 3 times prior. Always charging just not the full amount.

The security pulls me in and I admit to my wrongfull actions. I have no problem accepting the fact that I should be fired and what I did was wrong. This is what I wrote in my written statement and sign off on it. I said what I stole was around $50. Which it was.

So then the security pulls in the other guy that I hooked up the beer for. He says I stole over $1,300 worth of merchendise. How I could I of done this? Do you have any clue to what $1,300 worth of groceries looks like? So he signs a writen statement saying I stole this much.

Then I get a demand letter in the mail saying I stole this much. So at the time I was broke and couldnt pay anything so now my account is in a collections agency.

This is why I was wondering my rights with the collections agency. I know I should of been fired. Thats not my dilema.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You can't blame me for thinking you thought you had a wrongful term claim, when the first words in your post were, Due to wrongful firing.

The rest of your issue does not fall under employment law. You may get better answer posting your question under Consumer law.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">