• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

College Honor Code Violation's Effect on Hiring

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SeekingSerenity

During college, I got an honor code violation for changing an exam being submitted for a regrade. As a punishment, I got an F in the class plus a permanent notation in my student files. However, my college does not document such incidents on transcripts.

I graduated from college a few years ago. Since then, I have been spent time out of the United States and have also being doing contractual work, which has minimal background checking. I, however, want to get a full-time, permanent job.

How likely is an employer to discover such information during the background check process? If they do discover it, is that usually an automatic disqualifier?

Do background checks usually uncover such information? And what steps should I take to make things as favorable for myself as possible? (The incident occurred roughly 5.5 years ago).

You can send me a PM if you would prefer to do so.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
1: Sorry, this forum is for US law questions only.

2: Your question is not a legal question.

OHRoadwarrior

Employers want to verify you have a degree and what grades you received. Unless you applied for a specialty position involving a comprehensive background check, it should never come up.

Mnemosyne

During college, I got an honor code violation for changing an exam being submitted for a regrade.

... what steps should I take to make things as favorable for myself as possible? (The incident occurred roughly 5.5 years ago).
If *I* were to find out that a candidate had failed to disclose an honor code violation in hopes that I would never be the wiser, I would conclude that the candidate had learned diddly-squat about honor. That alone would be enough for me to disqualify the candidate from employment with my company.

But that's just me. I haven't any notion what prospective employers in your as-yet-unnamed state/country and line of work might do.

davew128

If *I* were to find out that a candidate had failed to disclose an honor code violation in hopes that I would never be the wiser, I would conclude that the candidate had learned diddly-squat about honor. That alone would be enough for me to disqualify the candidate from employment with my company.
And since I have never in my lifetime even had someone ask a question about such things, I would think that failure to disclose something not asked about should be along the lines of making much ado about nothing.

jiggy78

Your transcript will likely show the fail. The employer may ask but probably not. Lots of people fail courses. There is no law which says you have to tell the truth. Your college will almost certainly not disclose it.

Mnemosyne

And since I have never in my lifetime even had someone ask a question about such things, I would think that failure to disclose something not asked about should be along the lines of making much ado about nothing.
OP's mileage may vary. I never have been asked about such things, either, but *I* have asked about academic cheating when interviewing a candidate. I likely will do so again. Perhaps when interviewing this poster. ;)

jiggy78

If the OP lies, short of an insider at the college, the employer will never find out about it. No college would ever disclose that a student was failed for cheating.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
How likely is an employer to discover such information during the background check process? Highly unlikely.

If they do discover it, is that usually an automatic disqualifier? Unless you are applying for a job in academia, no.

Do background checks usually uncover such information? No

And what steps should I take to make things as favorable for myself as possible? Do not mention the incident unless you are specifically asked about it. If you are specifically asked about it, be prepared with a truthful answer that explains what happened, in which you take responsibility for your mistake, and that also explains how you have learned from the experience.

SeekingSerenity

This happened over 5 years when I was 19/20. I want to move on from it and become a become a productive member of society.

It was an isolated incident, and my record (criminal and education) is clean otherwise.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
And if you actually read my post, you would see that there is very little chance that this incident will prevent that from happening.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">