• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

commission chargebacks

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

theforce

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

I am currently receive both a base salary and commissions as a sales rep in the telecom industry. The commission is made up of two components, an upfront payment paid when the account is sold (and verified with the customer) and a billed commission payment paid when the account bills and the customer pays. I recently have had two sold accounts, that I was paid upfront commissions on, cancel. The company has charged me back the upfront commissions (approx $9700) associated with the orders. They continue to pay me my salary but withhold any new commissions until the amount that was charged back is "paid" back.

With all that said, I need some help on my options. Our compensation plan states "Negative balances will be carried forward to subsequent pay periods until the full amount has been recovered. If the participant terminates employment with ICG, whether voluntarily or involuntarily, the participant is still responsible for repaying any monies due to ICG. Participant agrees that any remaining negative balance may be deducted, to the extent permitted by law, from any final compensation otherwise payable to participant, without limiting ICG's right to pursue any remedy available under law or equity." Here are my questions:

1) How does a participant terminate employment involuntarily? Does that mean the participant is fired?
2) To what extent can the company pursue the commissions that have been paid and charged back? (i.e. withholding last paycheck, legal action?)
3) If I resign am I any more liable for the repayment of the charged back commissions than if I am terminated for underperformance?

Any and all help/opinions are greatly appreciated. THANKS.

Beth3

"1) How does a participant terminate employment involuntarily? Does that mean the participant is fired?" Yes, it means if the employee is fired, laid-off, or employer ends their employment for any reason.

"2) To what extent can the company pursue the commissions that have been paid and charged back? (i.e. withholding last paycheck, legal action?)" They can't withhold your last paycheck but they can deduct commissions due them to the point where you your wage level is at minimum wage. If they are still owed money and you fail to pay, they could pursue civil action.

"3) If I resign am I any more liable for the repayment of the charged back commissions than if I am terminated for underperformance?" According to the terms of the agreement, if they are owed commissions, WHY you are no longer employed there makes no difference.

T

theforce

civil action?

Can you define civil action?? Is there anything I can do to protect myself in this situation??

Beth3

Civil action = lawsuit

I suggest you speak with an attorney. There are differences from State to State as to whether commissions are considered "wages" and how they must be handled.

T

theforce

Can you recommend a good lawyer to speak with in Charlotte, NC??

Beth3

Sorry but I have no idea. I also expect it's against the rules of this board to make specific attorney referrals.

I suggest you contact your local Bar Association and ask for referrals to attornies in your area.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">