• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Company Bought Out, I Might Lose My Job

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jlk2230

Alabama

I hope I posted this in the right place.
In 2009 I was terminated by my employer for theft, and I plead guilty to a 3rd Degree Theft of Property misdemeanor. I got another job within a week of my termination and before the charges were filed (I checked by calling the sheriff's office once a day until the warrant was issued so I could turn myself in). The job that I got was with a private company, and she didn't do background checks.. even if she did it wouldn't have mattered considering she is a very open minded and forgiving person who will give anyone a chance.

The problem I am having now is that my employer has sold her business, and it has been sold by the new owner more recently to a large corporation. This corporation is pretty huge and they have to do background checks. I'm scared to death that once my background check comes back that they aren't going to accept me. Technically none of us are employees of the new company until we pass everything and get our welcome letter. Right now we are still employees of the previous company until this takes place, so if I'm not accepted by the corporation, if I lose my job I'm not technically fired. Would this be considered a lay off, or just tough luck? Is there any chance of me collecting unemployment while I look for a new job, and if so, who would I file it against, since the company has been sold?

justalayman

You don't file for UI against any particular employer. You simple file for unemployment benefits. Depending on the situation, whose account will be charged is determined by the state.

commentator

You need to keep right on working, and try not to worry about this situation. Usually with a buy out situation like this, the new employer will "grandfather in" most of the experienced employees of the old company. Keep your mouth closed, lay low, keep doing the job to the best of your abilities, and wait and see.

If they call you in and tell you they are not hiring you in the new company, it will mean you are laid off due to lack of work when the old company closed. Even if they tell you the reason they didn't hire you was because you have a felony, or failed their drug test, whatever. You have applied for another job (with the new company) and didn't get hired. End of story.

You will file a claim for unemployment. This claim will be based on your wages for the past two years, the base period employers, and your separating employer will be the LAST place you have worked. End of story. The unemployment system was collecting taxes from your employer the whole time she was in business, and you'd draw from those taxes if the company closes. You don't pick and choose. You will not even need to tell them WHY you were not chosen to be employed by the new company. The new company will not be contacted. your former employer has sold the company, lack of work, clean claim.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">