• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Company bought out. Are we are left in the cold

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jdaa

My husband and I reside in South Carolina.
My husband was notified today that the portion of the company that he works for has been sold and they said that they are not sure if the new owners of the company were going to keep them as employees.My question is this,the company that my husband works for is a very,very large company and he works in just a portion of it. By law is the company that he now works for supposed to offer him a job in another area?With the same amount of pay? Even if it is a title change? It just doesnt seem right to just give a phone call and say that this part of the company has been sold and you are on your own now.There are only 3 employees that work in this area.But, this is their livelyhood. What about insurance?How long will it be active until we have to pay for it on our own? Thanks for all of your help and suggestions.We greatly appreciateall help and answers.Thanks:confused:

pattytx

No, there is no legal requirement to do any of the things you mentioned. Unless he has a bona fide individual employment contract, or is covered under a union contract, that protects his employment under these circumstances, there is no legal recourse.

I don't disagree that leaving him "up in the air" is not the way I would have handled it, but it isn't illegal. Relative to what his benefits would be upon a possible termination, including insurance, any severance pay, etc., the employer would have to address; we would have no way of knowing what the plan documents provide for, or what the new employer is prepared to do.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">