• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Company that Closed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gregwinn

State is: Illinois

Hello, I wanted to post this and see what someone thinks of this outside of the problem.

There is a company in Illinois I will call it “Company”, on Dec 18th 2007 the owner walked in and said he is closing down and does not know if he will reopen. After he was done talking he walked out and drove off, no one had a chance to ask why. So I started cleaning my desk of and the Office Manager I will call him “Tim” came to me and said: “The owner asked me to tell you that you will not be back”, I asked what does that mean? Tim told me that’s all he knows. So I left just like the other 5 employees that had a job there. The next day I filed for Unemployment, started applying for jobs and then just a month ago (Feb 1st 2008) I got one and moved to another state.

Now on Jan 20th 2008 I got an email from the owner asking why I filed for unemployment. Then telling me that he called the unemployment office and told them “it must be a mistake as he has a job”. I emailed him back telling him I don’t have a job and I don’t start until the 1st of Feb. At that point he stopped sending email to me, so I never sent another to him. Unemployment called me (1st to 15th Feb 2008) and did a quick interview about what he said, telling me that he told them that “I quit without notice for a job in another state”. I could not believe my ears, so I quickly told them that the statement was false. I received a letter in the mail telling me that I now owe my unemployment money back. I have the option to appeal and am doing so now.

The next problem is in an email the owner sent; here is the background of this. Me and two other employees where sent to NYC for a business trip (4 days) every meal, taxi ride, hotel stay, plain tickets where all paid by the company. He is now telling me I owe a third of this to him, he said it would have paid it back to him if I would have remained an employee of the Company. The problem is that he laid me off and closed the business.

So here is the twist, I come to find out that the company reopened with about 75% of the same employees on Jan 3rd 2008. He is now telling Unemployment that he sent us in Christmas brake and I quit by never coming back.

What do I need to do to protect family and myself? Let me know if you need more detail…

mlane58

You might want to see if you can track anyone else who is no longer working there and was under the same belief and have them testify as a witness as to what you were told.

gregwinn

Yes, i have contacted one of them. They are willing to testify, as they where laid off too. Will that be all i need?

mlane58

Yes, i have contacted one of them. They are willing to testify, as they where laid off too. Will that be all i need?
Thats impossible to say, but with a witness you have a lot more credability than the employer. Remember that Unemployment boards are more friendlier towards employees than employers.

gregwinn

Thank you! That makes me feel a little better about this. Any idea on what i should do about the Trip he is now telling me i owe for? There was never a talk, paper work or any type of agreement about this. Once again it's my word vs his, will this be an issue? Do note that the past employee is one of the 3 that was sent on the trip.

mlane58

Thank you! That makes me feel a little better about this. Any idea on what i should do about the Trip he is now telling me i owe for? There was never a talk, paper work or any type of agreement about this. Once again it's my word vs his, will this be an issue? Do note that the past employee is one of the 3 that was sent on the trip.
Thats irrelavant for the appeal hearing. Let him sue you in court for that and I doubt he will, sounds like he just blowing smoke. If it comes up in the appeal from him, the hearing officer will most likely shut him down.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">