• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Company not following fair hiring practices

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dbl-r

Im from Ohio. I worked for a temp service at a major company that makes lab equipment. I was doing parts order entry, customer service. I worked at this position for 1 1/2 yrs being lead to believe that I would be hired by the customer service manager that I worked under for the first year. Then a position did come open for this job when the regular employee that I was working with transfered to another area. I bid on the position when it was put up on the bid board (which is company hiring procedure). The customer service manager went around begging regular employees to take this position but no one wanted it. They then decided that they would move it to service since it was dealing with part orders. A few weeks later they called me in to tell me that the position was given to someone in service but that I would be moving to service also and would be doing the same position. I was told that this move was a great thing for me because it was my chance to get hired full time with the company. I spoke to the service manager and was told that he would be justifying my position and try to get me hired in 2 wks to 2 months. As the waiting game went on, I found out that the person that was given the open position when it moved to service had not even bid on the position until after it was closed from the bid board and that they had asked her to bid on it. Finally in March I decided enough is enough. The manager was talking of getting another temp to help us keep up with all the work and when I said I would just be happy to be hired in was told that there was a firing freeze and wouldnt be happening anytime soon. I turned in my notice that day. After I left, they did post the position that I was working in for a full time position. Now, this company has a policy of putting job openings up on bidboard in house before hiring. In December I spoke to HR there and was told that I was not being treated fairly since many positions had been filled while I was there that had not been posted and that the company was not even following their own hiring procedures and that if investigated for employment violations they would not be in compliance. What I would like to know is where would I go to to have their hiring practices looked into? I realize this will not do anything for me but there are other temps that it may help.
Thanks

Last edited:

pattytx

If they don't want to "look into" the practices, they won't. Unless it becomes a downside for the employer (as in they can't keep good employees), they won't. Nothing that occurred was illegal.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
As has been mentioned, nothing in your post shows anything illegal was done...and I'm not even convinced it was unfair overall.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">