• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Company Owner Forcing Political Views on Employees

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lilsister

What is the name of your state? NY

I am the PR manager for a company that manufactures consumer products. The owner of the company is big into politics - and that's to say that he uses every chance he gets to bash the President, war in Iraq, etc.

As the PR person I write press releases. I just did one on how we sent items to some marines stationed in Iraq. It was very lite and didn't criticize the government - it was straight and to the point. The owner hates it and I get the feeling he's going to want to put a political spin on it. I don't agree with that. If I object and get fired or reprimanded, do I have any legal recourse?

JETX

If I object and get fired or reprimanded, do I have any legal recourse?"
*** No. Your 'ads' are a company product and the company has a right to say what they want (a little thing called 'free speech' and all). If you disagree with their 'message' (and based on your post, I would), your only options are:
- to find another job that might be more politically acceptable to you....
or
- to realize that the company's opinion may not reflect YOUR opinion and continue,
or
- tell them you refuse and accept the consequences (up to termination) for your beliefs.

lilsister

Just to clarify: advertising and public relations are two different areas. In PR you are dealing closely with the media i.e. reporters. In advertising, you are just buying space in a magazine.

Thanks for your reply though.

JETX

lilsister said:
Just to clarify: advertising and public relations are two different areas. In PR you are dealing closely with the media i.e. reporters. In advertising, you are just buying space in a magazine.
Just to clarify.... it makes NO difference, my post remains the same.
The bottom line (and consistent with BOTH 'positions') is that you are working for, and representing, your EMPLOYERS opinion and presentation (either in advertising.... OR in PR)!! The options I gave still remain.

BTW, advertising and 'public relations' are so similar in aspect and goals as to be often inter-related. Advertising affects the 'publics opinions/relations' of your employer.... and 'public relations' if done improperly is bad advertising.

K

krispenstpeter

The owner of the company is big into politics - and that's to say that he uses every chance he gets to bash the President, war in Iraq, etc.
And I bash that oil-grubbing, lying little momma's boy every chance I get also. And if my employees don't like it they have two options:

1. Leave.

2. Vote.

K

krispenstpeter

I miss Barry Goldwater.

At least when he called you and S.O.B. he didn't have his hand in your pocket. :rolleyes:

krispenstpeter said:
And I bash that oil-grubbing, lying little momma's boy every chance I get also. And if my employees don't like it they have two options:

1. Leave.

2. Vote.

Hell i know this is off topic ...But damn I just have to( after exploring Jetx's link) get on the soapbox for a minute.

Who are we suppose to vote for?....The lesser of the two evils? Each are equally evil or wrong in different aspects. So do we put...... "that oil-grub grubbing, lying little momma's boy" back in term........Or do we unleash a new evil on our country? Someone who wants to hike our taxes, and Hell our gas prices are over *$2.00 a gallon.........He wants (Kerry) to put ( not even going to the real issue of taxes) 50 cents up on gas ...AND 50 cents up on tabacco. What a prince...

I dunno...I thought that movie stars and wrestling champions should stay out of poilitics.....But NOW I am dying for one to come along.......Just so I can have an alternative to vote for!

Sorry..When I get a wild hair....It turns me into a wild hare!!! :D

Last edited:

JETX

I agree..... and regret that the only viable candidates we have had offered to us (and that IS what they are) force us into deciding which one is likely to be the LEAST WORSE!!!
I envy the days when politics was NOT a 'career', but a decision of sacrifice that a person would make to offer his services to his fellow citizens...... and then when completed would return to his 'real' life.

At the basic level (local school boards, small town mayors, etc.) where the main goal is to SERVE. Yet, for some reason, these best intentions are quickly tainted by the desire for power and money.

I recently got an email listing the extensive laws that Congress has declared themselves exempt from.... while forcing them on the rest of us. Some of these include: Social Security, labor discrimination, postage, parking and traffic, etc.
What happened to "Public Service"???

JETX

Sorry, but even that isn't true. The 'Camelot' family has fed at the government trough for a LONG time.... even before JFK took office. You really should read up on the 'antics' of 'dad', Joseph Patrick Kennedy. He was a real 'wheeler-dealer', including running liquor illegally during Prohibition.

I am afraid that in order to find the TRUE patriots, who served without unbridled ambition to power, you would have to go back to the starting days of this country.... and up to the early 1800's. Bring back John Wayne, Audey Murphy and Roy Rogers... at least they were real 'good guys'!!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
My friend, at this stage of the game, I will vote for anyone, and I mean ANYONE, that will get that damnfool idiot out of the White House. John Kerry, Martin Sheen, Harrison Ford, Ralph Nader, Gene Autry, John Wayne, Mickey Mouse. I don't give a damn who goes in as long as Bush goes OUT.

JETX

cbg said:
My friend, at this stage of the game, I will vote for anyone, and I mean ANYONE, that will get that damnfool idiot out of the White House. John Kerry, Martin Sheen, Harrison Ford, Ralph Nader, Gene Autry, John Wayne, Mickey Mouse. I don't give a damn who goes in as long as Bush goes OUT.
And that is one of the problems with America. We simply don't care who is IN office as long as the person we may not 'like' is not. Simply makes NO sense at all!!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Not denying the truth of that, Jetx, but considering the harm he's done in not quite four years, I can't imagine anyone else is going to do a worse job!

K

krispenstpeter

I am afraid that in order to find the TRUE patriots, who served without unbridled ambition to power, you would have to go back to the starting days of this country.... and up to the early 1800's. Bring back John Wayne, Audey Murphy and Roy Rogers... at least they were real 'good guys'!!
I can agree with two out of the three. But I have little respect for an alcoholic. And you left off one of the most respected member of that group, Gene Autry.

but I also disagree with the 'founding fathers' being true patriots. If that be the case, then we'd have to go even farther back to Thomas Paine, Malthus and Martin Luther who long before there was an America, fought for freedom of thought and minds.

the whole point of 'Camelot' wasn't born in the people who inhabited the castle, but in the people who believed in the hope.

That was what 'Camelot' was about. Since then, we have never again found HOPE.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">