• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Company Policies

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

apprentice

Currently I am employed by a company located in East Tennesse. In my job I am classified as an apprentice. When I accepted this job in December of 1997, no papers were signed. The apprentice program at this time was new to the company as they had decided to no longer use the Federal program which would grant a journeyman's card to graduates. Thus the company had no written policy for the program. Initially I was told that the program would involve 2 years of classroom instruction on the different theories involved with maintenance in an industrial atmosphere. At the end of this 2 year period I would have a 1 year period of solely on-the-job training. Once the 3rd year was finished I would be considered a Senior Maintenance Associate as long as I had passed all the courses and received "meets or exceeds company standards" on my 6 month evaluations. Plus during this time I would receive a progression of 6 pay steps ending on January of 2001 when I would enter the Senior Maintenance pay scale. I have met all of the criteria set forth at the onset of the program. My Supervisor has now decided with 3.5 months left to come up with his own list of requirements, job knowledge, as he likes to call it. And has told me that the policy states that he can do this and I can be held as an apprentice for up to 5 years. I asked him over a year ago for any additional requirements that he might have but he has drug his feet until the so called "11 hour". The policy he refers to was not written and accepted by the company until November of 1999, almost 2 years after entering the program. I am looking at the possibility of not receiving my last/6th pay step (January 2001) due to these last minute changes. My apprenticeship status also affects my ability to bid on other shifts and jobs within my department, a chance to get off 2nd shift so I can see my family more. Is there anything I can do? I have gone up my chain of command and also been to associate relations. Any help/advice would be appreciated. Thank-you

A

Attorney_Replogle

The employer is free to change its job requirements at any time. The only exception to this rule is if you had in writing a contract stating the requirements as you mentioned them. The bottom line, I don't see any unlawful employment practice here.

------------------
Mark B. Replogle

A

apprentice

Thanks for the info. After posting I did some more research and came up with the same conclusion. Appreciate your time though.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">