• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Company Policy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

munxs1

Can companies change policies at will without advising employees in a certain time frame? Our policy reads relatives can work at same company just not be supervised by a relative. And can they make this policy effective at certain sites or would it have to be company wide? I work with a relative in the same division however different departments. We have totally different supervisors. I have been with the company over 5 years and this was never an issue before it is just recently that we have heard that this policy may change in our area. Can past and current company practices be changed at will?

W

WhyNOT?

Ok -- let's think about this. You are working at a business. You aren't the owner. The Company has to do what it thinks is in the best interest of the business. (That is -- to keep it running, keep it profitable, so that the employees as a whole can keep their jobs.) Maybe there was a conflict of interest situation. Maybe they are tired of listening to relatives gripe about this situation. Maybe they are tired of listening about favoritism. Maybe it takes away from production. IF something makes something BETTER why shouldn't they change the policy!? Why would you assume that they couldn't.

If you were the owner what would you think?

Now -- on the flip side, I hope that they are communicating the purpose of such changes to you, and are giving you the opportunity to provide feedback -- its a privilege to do so however, not a right.

M

munxs1

Yes as an owner I see what you are saying somewhat, however there is no conflict of interest at this time nor in this situation. All employees involved are rated high in performance. My question was can a large corporation change its (which have been in effect for years) policies at will. And if so what good are policies and how can employees protect themselves?

N

newmom

Yes, companies can change their policies whenever they feel like it. Mainly, a policy is put in effect to help the company or to do some sort of good, if this policy doesn't work, or at any point starts to NOT work, then they have every right to change it or modify it in any way they see fit. No notice is needed before hand. The only thing the company need do is distribute the NEW manual or portion thereof to all employees.

M

munxs1

Okay, they can change policy, do they then have to make the policy change company wide, or in just certain areas as they see fit?
Thanks for the feedback.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">