• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Company policy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omni-Pontent

Texas

Reference this thread here:

https://forum.freeadvice.com/libel-slander-defamation-88/customer-cost-me-my-career-454394.html

I was recently terminated for "violating company policy" as explained in the thread. What I did was a common practice for those in my position and it was spoken of around upper level managers many times and no one ever told us not to do it. Some managers even told us to go do it when times were tough if we need to make extra money. Fortunately I never was met with hard times so it was rare when I did it, and it was never for personal gain.

If the company has a rule in black and white, but management condones breaking that rule, is it justified to terminate an employee for breaking that rule?

You Are Guilty

First off, its better to keep all your questions in the same thread, as it makes answering them much easier. Now, as to:
If the company has a rule in black and white, but management condones breaking that rule, is it justified to terminate an employee for breaking that rule?
:confused:
Of course it is. Why, you ask? Because "company policy" is not "law", nor does it need to be enforced equally on every employee (for example, nepotism, while unfair, is entirely legal).

Face it - you screwed up and got caught. No one's fault but your own.

Omni-Pontent

First off, its better to keep all your questions in the same thread, as it makes answering them much easier
That doesn't make any sense. This is a multi subject board and my question doesn't belong in a "libel/slander/defamation" section.

Face it - you screwed up and got caught. No one's fault but your own.
I will agree with you here. I knew snakes bite before I picked it up. No one to blame but myself.

There is a lot more to this story. One detail I'll share is, the upper level manager that fired me is close to being fired himself. A month ago, myself and other mid level managers expressed concern he would throw some of us under bus in an effort to save himself.

Also the mid level managers filled out a performance review recently of our upper managers (requested by HR). HR assured us it was anonymous, but I fail to see how they won’t figure out who wrote what. Our review of them was not flattering at all. This upper level manager in question had the option to reprimand me or put me on probation since I have a spotless record. His actions could very well be retaliation.

I guess I handed myself over on a silver platter. :(

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">