• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Company policy against working on 2nd job

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kiem

What is the name of your state? California.

Hello,

I'm working as full time in one company. There is a contract job offered to me as part time after hours from my first job, and the pay is very attractive. My company policy says I cannot be working on any other jobs in the same industry (IT that is), which would apply for this case.

How would my company find out if I work on the second job? If they find out - I would get fired according to the policy. I wonder if it's worth a risk.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Don't ever assume that an employer can't find out about something. It is much easier than you might think for information to pass from one employer to another, completely innocently. You would not BELIEVE some of the ways I've found out information about some of my employees when I haven't even been looking for it.

ecmst12

As far as whether it's worth the risk, that's really up to you. How much trouble would you be in financially if your FT job fired you? Does the PT gig pay enough to offset that trouble? How bad do you think it would look to future employers if they found out that you were fired due to a willful violation of company policy?

moburkes

Asking if it is worth the risk really isn't a legal question. If you're wondering if it is legal to prohibit the 2nd job, the answer is yes.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">