• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Company relocating = out of job?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jen0510

What is the name of your state? Florida
The company I work for recently informed us that our division will be relocating to NC. We were told that they would like for all of us to move with them, but should we choose not to make the move then they would not be responsible to ensure employment within the company at other locations (although many of us have 5, 10, or more years with the company). I have several questions due to this statement; 1) If the move is a company decision, do they have any type of legal obligations in placing those that are not able (i.e. financially) to relocate in comparative positions within the company locally? 2) Would an employee being pregnant effect their obligation (or lack thereof) in job placement within the company locally? 3) Is there a responsibility of the employer to offer a severance package to all employees, or to even offer one in general?
:confused:What is the name of your state?

mlane58

1) If the move is a company decision, do they have any type of legal obligations in placing those that are not able (i.e. financially) to relocate in comparative positions within the company locally?
No not at all
2) Would an employee being pregnant effect their obligation (or lack thereof) in job placement within the company locally?
Being pregnant doesn't entitle you to any special treatment or consideration.
3) Is there a responsibility of the employer to offer a severance package to all employees, or to even offer one in general?
Severance packages are required under any state or federal law. Unless you had a bona fide contract spelling out a severance package or part of a collective bargaining unit that required it in the contract then the company doesn't have to provide one.

jen0510

Thanks for the info...I knew I was "grasping" at straws...just needed to hear it from an unbiased source. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">