• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Company is relocating within the state. Can I leave and collect unemployment?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgenchik

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ
My company is relocating within th state. The new location is 30 miles farther then the current one. This increase distance of my commute 3 times. If I chose to resign instead of going to the new location, am I eligible for unemployment benefits?
If the answer is YES, what must be, and what can not be mentioned in a resignation letter?
Also, if I try to work at the new location but decide that the commute is too much, is there a grace period in which I could still resign with a "good cause" and collect unemployment?

Thank you.

CourtClerk

In this economy, you'd be crazy to leave any job voluntarily when you don't have another one.

However, the only one who can tell you with any absolute accuracy as to whether you would be eligible for UI benefits is the UI Board when you file.

ecmst12

I don't think 30 miles is far enough to be considered good cause. But only the state can say for sure.

pattytx

The problem is that you will not know what the EDD thinks until you actually quit and file for unemployment and get a determination. If you've guessed wrong, you're not only out of a job, but you don't have UI benefits either.

Now, my 6th grade algebra is coming back to me, and I tried this as a word problem and I THINK I'm coming up with the current commute being 10 miles and the new commute being 40 (if I assigned the values correctly and formulated the equation properly. I'm also doubting that an increase 30-mile one-way commute would be a good enough reason to quit and receive UI. I've have plenty of jobs where a 30-40 mile commute was normal.

commentator

no grace period!!

In general, if you were to refuse to transfer to the new location and cite the reason as being that you are having to increase your commute significantly, you would have a pretty good chance of getting approved to draw unemployment. They would look at how far you were commuting now to your job, vs. how far you would have to commute to the new job. If it is unreasonable, somewhere around 50 more miles, or 30 more miles, etc. you have a fair chance they would say you do not have to worsen yourself by taking the job.

However, if you take the job and try it out and then quit because it is too far to drive, you don't have ANY chance of getting to draw from this situation. Because you have voluntarily quit the job.

In truth, for a 30 mile further commute, I'm with the guy who said if you quit a job in this economy for nothing more than a commuting distance of 30 miles, it's sort of crazy. They do not ask you to worsen your situation in unemployment decisions, but think long and hard if you feel like you can find an equivalent job close to your house before you throw the baby out with the bathwater and quit. Unemployment only lasts so long, and then they don't give a hoot how far you have to drive to survive.

This opinion is based on 30+ years working in the unemployment system. Many things are very similar in all states, though some have a specific distance of reasonable commuting distance spelled out. It would pay to call and ask someone at your local office BEFORE you quit the job.

Indiana Filer

In general, if you were to refuse to transfer to the new location and cite the reason as being that you are having to increase your commute significantly, you would have a pretty good chance of getting approved to draw unemployment. They would look at how far you were commuting now to your job, vs. how far you would have to commute to the new job. If it is unreasonable, somewhere around 50 more miles, or 30 more miles, etc. you have a fair chance they would say you do not have to worsen yourself by taking the job.
Not always. My husband was denied unemployment because he refused a job that would have required him to move from southern IN to the Cleveland, OH, area.

I do agree the OP needs to contact his state Employment Commission.

pattytx

I do agree the OP needs to contact his state Employment Commission.
Who very likely won't tell you anything solid. What they will tell you is to file and the specific circumstances will be considered and a determination made at that time. Of course, then you don't have a job.

Who very likely won't tell you anything solid. What they will tell you is to file and the specific circumstances will be considered and a determination made at that time. Of course, then you don't have a job.
This is true. The only way to find out is to research through the hearings. However, generally speaking, the unemployment office expects the claimant to accept any job within a one hour driving distance or one and a half hours by public transportation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">