• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Company - Relocation Exp.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

pappu

I joined a Michigen based company. The employment was on 'at will' terms but I was required to work for the company at least for 1 1/2 years. Failing which, I would be reuired to Pay all the expenses the company spend on me like relocation etc.

I was working at a clients place of the Company in California. After about 7 months, my manager/supervisor called me and told that the market is not doing good, you better look for a job for yourself as I will be removed from the project within 2 months. This was his verbal and friendly advice to me (According to him).

I started looking for another job. As expected I was removed from the project and my work was assigned to my-coworker who was close to him. After being on bench for 1 month (approx) I got a project, the company again relocated me but in the process reduced my salary. According the manager it was as per company's rule.

A friend of mine was also relocated to same project and from him I came to know that his salary was reduced by 6000 USD/ per annum where as in my case it was reduced by 8000 USD /per annum.

Seeing this kind of discrmination and an earlier advice of my manager, I seeked a different job and resigned from the company as I was not in a position to fight against the treatment they did to me.

Now the company is asking me to pay back re-location and other expenses.

I did not leave the company with my wish, but the circumstances forced me to leave.

Under the circumstances what are the options before me.

Am I liable to pay the expenses? What help can I get from the law for the unfair treatment.

Your legal advice will be higly appreciated.

JETX

You answered your own question when you acknowledged that you resigned from the position and were not 'terminated'.

As such, the 'payback' provision was very probably in place due to your decision to resign.

Sounds to me like you owe the money.

Your questions:
Q1) "Am I liable to pay the expenses?"
A1) As noted above, yes.

Q2) "What help can I get from the law for the unfair treatment."
A2) Nothing can be done after you entered the agreement. Any chance for clarification or exceptions would have been before accepting the 'payback' agreement.

Your legal advice will be higly appreciated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">