• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Company "rightsizing"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

proxie

I work for a company in Kansas. My position was recently eliminated, as well as my assistant's position. Both of us were placed elsewhere in the company in less than desirable jobs. About 3 months after both jobs were eliminated, the company decided that someone needed to do my job after all. What they did was come up with a job with the exact same duties and responsibilites that I had but a different title. They never offered this job to me, but did however offer the job to my former assistant. I am guessing it was because her salary is much lower and the purpose of eliminating our jobs in the first place was to cut department costs. She is now doing my old job, but at a much lower salary, and I am still stuck in an undesirable position. Can they eliminate a job, then turn around and reinstate the job without offering it to the employee who had the job before? I am grateful to even have a job, but would have liked to have my old job back. Do I have any legal recourse?

wtd

Since you didn't specify a state, or fill in the location on your profile, the answer is maybe - as laws vary from state to state.

I live in Nevada, my entire department was eliminated with no notice. Two days later, the department was completely refilled with employees holding the same job titles, but with about 2/3 the pay. While we were dutifully working for the company, the company was recruiting new employees willing to work at lower wages and when they had replacements lined up for all the current employees, we were all summarily fired, saving themselves quite a chunk of change.

In Nevada, this is perfectly legal, as long as the employees were not deprived of the legally required breaks/lunch periods, and no antidiscrimination laws were broken.

wtd

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">