• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Company sent my personal information via unencrypted thumb drive and lost it!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jmm1101

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum, but please let me know if I need to post elsewhere! Thanks!

Hi, my name is Jackie and I live and work in Pennsylvania. I work for a large corporation, with headquarters in Pennsylvania and Illinois. I just received a letter in the mail today stating that my personal information (along with about 7,000 other fellow employees) was copied by an employee of the company from an company encrypted computer hard drive onto an unencrypted thumb drive. The thumb drive was placed in an envelope and sent via the US mail to Illinois headquarters. The envelope arrived at its destination in a damaged state, and the thumb drive was missing. The company has stated that all of the information on this thumb drive is unencrypted (a mistake by the employee who copied it in the first place).

Among the known information contained on the unencrypted thumb drive (and for the other 7,000 employees) was my name, address, social security number, and corporate stock option information. The company stated that there was also other information contained in the files, but they were not specific about what the additional information was.

The company has offered each employee a membership in a credit monitoring and identity theft insurance product, but for one year only. My problem with this is that identity theft doesn't happen overnight. If someone stole this thumb drive, it could take them years to go through the personal information on 7,000 employees.

The thought among the affected employees is that it should be a lifetime membership. The was the company's mistake, and 7,000 employees' credits are at stake.

Any advice would be very much appreciated! Thank you!

Jackie

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">