• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Company sold after death of owner

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

milagrosramos

:confused:

What is the name of your state? Ohio

The owner of the company a friend of mine works for died. The owner's sons said they would continue running the company. But about 4 months later (this past Friday), the sons came in and passed out papers to everyone telling them that the company is sold and they gave 2 weeks notice before termination.

They are part of a union, but the union has told them there is nothing they can do. My friend tells me that the sons wanted the union disbanded and there was a labor dispute 2 months ago and the workers stayed with the union. A new contract was drafted and they assumed everything was fine until they were notified of the sale.

My friend has worked for this company for 27 years. Is there any action that can be taken here for job placement assistance or severance pay to help until he and these other people find work? He's almost 60 years old and doesn't qualify for early retirement or Social Security yet.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The law does not mandate that either job placement assistance or severance pay be provided. Unless there is a provision under the union contract, there is no legal action he can take.

One question that might or might not help - how many employees are being affected?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Okay, let me check. I don't think that's enough to qualify under the statute I'm thinking of but I will look and get back to you either way.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">