• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Company wants to obtain a comsumer report on all the employees

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

marcwsu

My company passed out a form to all of us asking us to "voluntarily authorize them to obtain a consumer report regarding me in connection with my employment or continuing employment without any additional notice". They state that this is only to check on our driver license records but they acknowledge that our credit history is available because they can receive a credit report. I don't understand why I need to sign a consumer report form, as this seems like it would release too much information about me. I have been with the company for over a year and it seems strange that this would suddenly come about. Is this legal and should I sign it? I am located in Michigan and we have a company fleet of vehicles which none of us drive but they say this is for future reasons

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

No, it sounds very vague. It sounds like they want to see who owes more than someone else, for possible cutbacks???????

They need a tangible reason. Try this site to perhaps give you the specific law:
http://www.equifax.com/resources/fcra_info_rights.html

M

marcwsu

I know it sounds very vague and that's what worries us! They included a thing which states your right like you show on that link. They also state in the form that they do not have to notify us when & how many times they look at this information.

When you say tangible reason...what do you mean exactly. I am not extremely educated in Law and any assistance would be appreciate.

Thanks for taking the time to reply!

L

lawrat

Tangible like let's say it is a government organization and they need to do sufficient background checks to make sure all is okay.

No conflicts of interests, no possible security breaches, no past criminal stuff. Stuff like that.

ALawyer

I am not a Michigan lawyer but my sense is they can ask (confirm that with the State Department of Employment) and if all the employees stick together and say no they will back off.

------------------
To retain a lawyer, I suggest you go to http://AttorneyPages.com which is endorsed by the Association of Trial Lawyers of America. This response is intended as general information only and NOT LEGAL ADVICE. As you are not my client I have no obligation of any kind to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">