• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

compensate employees to sign a non-compete ageement?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

joe daries

undefinedWhat is the name of your state?

North Carolina;

I would like to have my employees sign a confidentiality agreement and a non-compete agreement. Do they have to be compensated for signing them??

BelizeBreeze

joe daries said:
undefinedWhat is the name of your state?

North Carolina;

I would like to have my employees sign a confidentiality agreement and a non-compete agreement. Do they have to be compensated for signing them??
Hell no. In fact, you can tell them in a very sweet voice that if they DON'T sign the next sound they hear will be the door closing as they get the boot.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I'm not 100% certain that's correct, BB. It is in some states, that's for certain, but I believe there are a few states that do require the employee to receive some form of compensation. I don't know whether NC is one of the ones where keeping your job is sufficient compensation, or if there has to be something more tangible.

OP, I would suggest double checking with the NC DOL, just to be on the safe side.

Last edited:

BelizeBreeze

cbg said:
I'm not 100% certain that's correct, BB. It is in some states, that's for certain, but I believe there are a few states that do require the employee to receive some form of compensation. I don't know whether NC is one of the ones where keeping your job is sufficient compensation, or if there has to be something more tangible.

OP, I would suggest double checking with the NC DOL, just to be on the safe side.
Sweetheart, they will ALL receive compensation. And would you like to guess what that will be in an "AT WILL" state ? :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">