• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

compensation for being on call

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tryingtimes

I work for a county government. Recently, our department head put us on call in case we were needed after hours. We now take turns, between four of us, wearing a beeper for a week. We don't get paid for sitting around waiting to be called in to work but we do get comp time if we are called. My question is; Shouldn't we get compensation for the time that we are on call because we certainly can't go anywhere, and is there any law that states they should pay us?

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

No such law I know of. I know people who are on call 24 hours a day. They work for disaster services organizations and are salaried employees.

If you get comp time when ACTUALLY CALLED, that is your compensation. No one should pay you for wearing a beeper (part of the job, you knew it). It might be a different argument if you were an hourly employee though.

T

tryingtimes

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lawrat:
I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

No such law I know of. I know people who are on call 24 hours a day. They work for disaster services organizations and are salaried employees.

If you get comp time when ACTUALLY CALLED, that is your compensation. No one should pay you for wearing a beeper (part of the job, you knew it). It might be a different argument if you were an hourly employee though.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">