• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Confidentiality agreement 1099

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

questionwhy1099

What is the name of your state? Colorado

I was recently asked to sign a confidentiality agreement as an independent contractor by a company I have worked for many years.

I have no problem with that and not disclosing any proprietary information including customer lists but I do have a problem with the wording of the agreement. It basically said that I will not "use" any current or "potential" clients, distributors and distributon locations in "any way" forever! I pointed out to them that this means I could never do business with ANY company in my town because every one could be considered a "potential" client and that I could never do business with any of their advertisers as a consumer because I would be "using" them and questioned what the advertisers would think of that. I also feel that the real intent of the agreement was to keep me from working for any other company, MOST of whom are not in competetion with the employer.

I provide the same service for several businesses in my town and this broad statement could have hurt me in the future. I asked for clarification on the meaning of "use", "potential" and "any way" in writing and suggested restraint of trade.. I was told to sign or be terminated. I refused to sign and was terminated.

I do understand under independent contract law I can be terminated for any reason at anytime. I also understand, and informed the company that their contract unfairly restrained my ability to make a living and trade with whomever I choose. I also noticed that they did NOT include any remedy (what they would do if I violated the agreement).

Any suggestions?

Questionwhy1099

pattytx

I'm confused as to what you are asking for advice about?

The concept of "non-compete" is inconsistent with independent contractor status. I wouldn't have signed it either. Although, the language you described as in the agreement is so vague and restrictive, I doubt very seriously it could ever be enforced, even for an employee.

pattytx

But you didn't sign it. Are you still doing work for them? If so, is there a time limit by which you must sign it or they will terminate the contract? Or are you planning to terminate it?

BelizeBreeze

questionwhy1099 said:
Any chance of persuing restraint of trade action?
that's a pretty ridiculous stretch.

You have the right not to sign the agreement.
They have the right, even with your signature, to fire you.

questionwhy1099

I was hoping to get a little more broad oppinion here from someone familiar with anti-trust law. I respect your opinion BB but many years ago (i.e. pre internet) I was involved in a similar situation and couldn't find a local lawyer who knew anti-trust law. I had to let it go to only find out a couple of years later, someone in the EXACT same situation I was in, sued and won $33 million with treble damages and attorney fees.

I no longer work for this company because I was given a deadline, which was different from others who do the same job for them, and I refused to sign. I understand that I can be terminated without cause at any time (I documented the cause) but this agreement was so restrictive, allowing me basically ONLY to work for them. I understand that I can merely say no and move on BUT remember that even though I didn't put myself in the position of them controlling me, I have suffered the loss of income from that account because of their actions! It is very dicey if a company tries to hire an independent contractor and have them work exclusively for them. I would then become an employee! Also, I have worked for this company for over 10 years!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">