• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Confidentiality Agreement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wjg

What is the name of your state? New York

I have been working with a engineering firm for 4 years. Just recently, my employer ask all the employees to sign a confidentiality agreement.

Sorry, I can't post the agreement here. My feeling is that the agreement covers almost everthing wihtout saying anything specific.

My questions are:
1). Do I have to sign the agreement? What's the consequence of not signing it?
2). I really want to get some education on this issue. Can anyone recomend any website or book?

Thanks a lot.

Will

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
1). Do I have to sign the agreement? No, not if you don't want to. There is no law that says you have to sign a non-compete agreement if you don't want to.

What's the consequence of not signing it? If your employer chooses to do so, they can fire you for not signing it. (I said you didn't have to sign it under the law; not that there would be no consequences for not signing it.)

2). I really want to get some education on this issue. Can anyone recomend any website or book? I personally can't, no. Maybe someone else will.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">