• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Confidentiality Leak?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ggoldnfriend

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin
While presently employed at one company (Company A), I applied at another (Company B) while laid off for the winter at Company A. Things that I said during a phone interview were repeated to my present employer that caused them to call me and say they won't be needing me back because of things that I said. I tried to get an explanation more in depth but through stuttering the boss said, "Well that's our decision" and explained that someone outside company A told them that I thought Company A was lying to me?? I never said they lied to me (about the workload and why i was laid off) but i made a comment to Company B about why they would lay off a registered land surveyor before laying off survey technicians. Did they have appropriate grounds to let me go?? Was Company B in the wrong for discussing things that should have been confidential during an interview?? Should company B have asked me if they can contact my present employer?? I am having a hard time finding employment as a professional and I am scared that other conversations are going on to hurt my chance to gain employment. I have a family and I am struggling, please help!!!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Company B may or may not have acted unprofessionally - it's not entirely clear what was said either by you or by them. Neither company acted illegally.

If you had been laid off Company A was not a current employer.

seniorjudge

Q: Did they have appropriate grounds to let me go?

A: You can be fired for any or no reason.

Q: Was Company B in the wrong for discussing things that should have been confidential during an interview?

A: Not unless the both of y'all signed a confidentiality agreement.

Q: Should company B have asked me if they can contact my present employer?

A: See prior answer.

RuGa

too much talk...

As a general rule do not ever speak disparagingly(unless documented illegal activities) of any former employers as current employers may feel you'll do the same thing to them......

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">