• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

confidentiality/proprietary information agreement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

michaelv

I am applying for a technical support position at a biotech company, and as part of the application process, the company requires me to sign a confidentiality/proprietary information agreement.

I read through the agreement, and it looks okay except for the following section. I would appreciate advise as to whether this section of the agreement (see below) looks legitimate:

"Enforcement of Proprietary Rights

I will assist the Company in every proper way to obtain, and from time to time enforce, United States and foreign Proprietary Rights relating to Company Inventions in any and all countries. To that end I will execute, verify and deliver such documents and perform such other acts (including appearances as a witness) as the Company may reasonably request for use in applying for, obtaining, perfecting, evidencing, sustaining, and enforcing such Proprietary Rights and the assignment thereof. In addition, I will execute, verify and deliver assignments of such Proprietary Rights to the Company or its designee. My obligation to assist the Company with respect to Proprietary Rights relating to such Company Inventions in any and all countries shall continue beyond the termination of my employment, but the Company shall compensate me at a reasonable rate after my termination for the time actually spent by me at the Company’s request on such assistance.

In the event the Company is unable for any reason, after reasonable effort, to secure any signature on any document needed in connection with the actions specified in the preceding paragraph, I hereby irrevocably designate and appoint to the Company and its duly authorized officers and agents as my agent and attorney in fact, which appointment is coupled with and interest, to act for and in my behalf to execute, verify and file any such documents and to do all other lawfully permitted acts to further the purposes of the proceeding paragraph with the same legal force and effect as if executed by me. I hereby waive and quitclaim to the Company any and all claims, of any nature whatsoever, which I now hereafter have for infringement of any Proprietary Rights assigned hereunder to the Company."

Thank you,
MichaelV.

ALawyer

While it is strong, that section alone looks okay, but what is crucial is how it relates to and the contents of the rest of the agreement -- ask a lawyer to review it for you in full.

------------------
To retain a lawyer, I suggest you go to http://AttorneyPages.com which is endorsed by the Association of Trial Lawyers of America. This response is intended as general information only and NOT LEGAL ADVICE. As you are not my client I have no obligation of any kind to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">