• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Confidentiality at RIF?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

catwomanga

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? GA

I have 11.5 years of service and I am a VP. I was Riffed last week. THe problem I have is with the way it was done.

I was in the office on Monday and several others were riffed. I spoke with my boss and even got permission to sign up for a training class the following week.

I left on Tuesday for an extended client visit. I had an urgernt message from a friend on Wednesday that everyone was talking about me getting riffed. Several hours later I got in touch with my boss at home and asked him and he confirmed. No explanation as to how all these others knew except me.

ANy recouse?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No. It may or may not have been unprofessional to tell others before you, (depending on circumstances; it may have been unavoidable) but it was not illegal; nor does it make your being RIF'd illegal.

needsomehelp999

I don't know the details of your situation, and im not a lawyer or anything but we had a situation that sounds similar to that at my company. One of our agents was away from the office and the boss went and told her coworkers that he was going fire her. Of course her coworkers called and told her, so she knew in advance that she was going to be fired. My company has internal ethics rules that they must follow along with the laws of the State of Georgia. She filed a complaint against the company with the corporate ethics office and won. It wasnt illegal, but it was considered unethical. I dont know if your company has these same rules, but if they do you might wanna consider filing a complaint.

catwomanga

Thanks for the info. Do you know what she won? I am not wanting to get back on with a company and management as it confirms they are weasels and unethical.

Maybe use it to negotiate better severance?

Last edited:

needsomehelp999

She received a monetary settlement from the company. She was given to option to come back and work, but of course she did not want to be back in that kind of environment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">