• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Conflict of Interest and Wrongful Termination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cnote7

State of Oregon

Hi, I was fired for a supposed conflict of interest because I worked for two technology companies that "offer an identical or similar service". I understand that I can be terminated for any reason by an at-will employer.

However, my question is this. I was referred to Company B for employment by a manager from Company A. This manager was a friend of the owner of Company B. And here's the kicker. This manager also previously worked for Company A and B simultaneously.

The head manager of Company A who fired me KNEW about his subordinate manager's (whom recommended me to Company B) situation with both companies, yet did not pursue similar conflict of interest proceedings.

I believe that the head manager of Company A is using this as a vehicle to get rid of me because of a personal vendetta, which is the result of past whistle-blowing reports I have made internally against said head manager. Please advise me towards any legal recourse I have in these matters. Thank you.

Banned_Princess

State of Oregon

Hi, I was fired for a supposed conflict of interest because I worked for two technology companies that "offer an identical or similar service". I understand that I can be terminated for any reason by an at-will employer.

However, my question is this. I was referred to Company B for employment by a manager from Company A. This manager was a friend of the owner of Company B. And here's the kicker. This manager also previously worked for Company A and B simultaneously.

The head manager of Company A who fired me KNEW about his subordinate manager's (whom recommended me to Company B) situation with both companies, yet did not pursue similar conflict of interest proceedings.

I believe that the head manager of Company A is using this as a vehicle to get rid of me because of a personal vendetta, which is the result of past whistle-blowing reports I have made internally against said head manager. Please advise me towards any legal recourse I have in these matters. Thank you.
um. ok, what was wrongful about your termination?

you can apply for unemployment, but only if you are unemployed.

ecmst12

You can apply for unemployment. Internal reports are not "whistle blowing". That term refers to reporting an ILLEGAL activity to a state or regulatory agency OUTSIDE the company.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
On the basis of what you have posted, this is not a wrongful termination as defined by law and your legal recourse is limited to filing for unemployment.

If you want to provide a bit more detail about what kind of reports you have made about the manager, and to whom, it is *possible* that the answer might change. It's not very likely at all, but it's possible.

cnote7

I think the real reason I am being fired is basically an act of retaliation due to whistleblowing.
This can be proven with the example of the manager who had the exact same situation with
both companies as me and no action was taken against him. There are also other examples of
other current employees who have what I would deem a more severe potential conflict of interest,
and no action has ever been taken against them.

I might add, I procured a signed statement by the subordinate manager who was previously in my same situation
with both companies, acknowledging all of the claims I have made.

Banned_Princess

I think the real reason I am being fired is basically an act of retaliation due to whistleblowing.
This can be proven with the example of the manager who had the exact same situation with
both companies as me and no action was taken against him. There are also other examples of
other current employees who have what I would deem a more severe potential conflict of interest,
and no action has ever been taken against them.

I might add, I procured a signed statement by the subordinate manager who was previously in my same situation
with both companies, acknowledging all of the claims I have made.
What was the "whistle blowing" you did. Do you work for, and blown the whistle on a government agency?

cnote7

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Neither are a government-related.

The whistleblowing report internally was regarding the violation of labor laws
and the denial of the appropriate amount of rest periods granted, in accordance
with the length of time worked.

AKA, I was denied breaks that I should have been getting, and reported it.

Banned_Princess

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Neither are a government-related.

The whistleblowing report internally was regarding the violation of labor laws
and the denial of the appropriate amount of rest periods granted, in accordance
with the length of time worked.

AKA, I was denied breaks that I should have been getting, and reported it.
aka who did you report it to.

cnote7

I also would like to add...

I was browsing this website, http://www.unlawfultermination.com/Practice_Areas/Whistleblowing.aspx

Specifically, this paragraph
In Oregon, an employee may bring a claim against an employer if that employee was disciplined, demoted or terminated for refusing to engage in the illegal conduct or after reporting the employer's illegal conduct to a manager or to an outside governmental agency.
I am no lawyer, and have yet to contact one, as these events are extremely recent.
So I don't know if this quoted statement is completely true or not, according to Oregon law.

OHRoadwarrior

You were not terminated for that reason. You were terminated for a perceived conflict of interest, that may not have been present prior to this point in time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">