• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Confused

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

DidNotDoIt

What is the name of your state? SC

My wife recently quit her job at a preschool after 9 years of on and off service. She was the director. Upon hearing of her leaving, they conducted an audit for the first time in twenty five years which turned up some things that appeared to point to some disbursement of funds without receipts and her word was not good enough. Now they want her to pay them the money (about $900) because she has no documentation that it went toward stuff purchased for the school. My question is should she just pay them the money and if so under what conditions or should she just leave them hanging since she was quitting anyway and let them worry about it. I mean are you saying you are guilty just because you give them the money to basically just go away and leave you alone and save your reputation or is it worth all that to fight it.
Its the principle at this point but it it is not worth the effort or reputation damage at some poit.
Thx

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Even if she did do it (and I'm not saying she did) whether they can require her to repay the money is a question of state law. According to my sources your state is silent on the question of whether shortages or losses can be required to be made up by the employee, so you would be well served by having her talk to the state Department of Labor.

Only she can make the decision as to whether or not it is "worth it".

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">