• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Confused

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

casmon

Terminated While On Probation

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? California

I am a Federal Employee/military reservist on probation (1 year). During the interview I informed them that I did not know anything concerning the job they where hiring me for (Communications Officer). I told them that I was an Executive Officer by experience and that the job I was applying for was the Executive Officer job. I was not aware that there was a Comm Officer opening. You see Exec and Comm are in the same career frield. Anyway, they said that they will train me. Also, part of the deal before accepting employment was moving me from Michigan to Southern California. I came in in Jun 05. Three days ago, 3 Jan 06, I was informed by management that I was being "let go" or fired for unsatisfactory performance after only being in for 6 months. I figured, how could this be? I am in "training" mode. Anyway, they gave me the option to either be terminated or I could resign. Currently, I am told that I would have to pay for the relocation cost of (est) $15,000 since I did not complete at least 1 year. I know I did not do anything wrong. I talked to my supervisor about it and he said that he just heard about it yesterday (4 Jan 06), and it was a complete suprise to him. He said that although the job wasn't moving as fast as he would like it to go, that I WAS making progress, and that I was contributing to the mission. Also, he told management that there was a training plan for me to get trained anyway. I know I may not have much say about me getting hired back in. Frankly, I believe that they were making excuses to get rid of me for one reason or another. My question and main issue is - if I do voluntarily resign (like a have a choice), I'll probably have to pay back the $15,000 moving expense. Upon further research, I was told that even if I chose to be fired, I'll still have to pay it anyway. I am at a lost. Please help. Worse comes to worse, I'll be paying - $15000 moving cost, to add 6 more months on my lease at my apartment at $850 a month, and to add the cost of moving back to Michigan, and other expenses and obligations. I did not do anything wrong. I did everything they asked me to do...to the point of even leaving "gracefully". I hope this all makes sense. Also, and I know this is a long shot - but can I sue the governement? I didn't do anything wrong.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">