• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Confused

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Michelle_1107

I was arrested for a LEGAL prescription at work. The DA refused the charges and unemployment ruled in my favor. The company did not follow its own policy. They fired me that night and did not suspend my with an investigation. And if that was not bad enough I work for tips and now everyone thinks that I am a drug user, because they hand cuffed me and took me out of the room. I dont have my job and they should have had some kind of an investigation before thinking that i was guilty with out even a trial. Can I sue?

L

loku

This sounds familiar. They were legal drugs, but is this a situation in which the drugs were prescription drugs and the prescription was made out to someone else?

M

Michelle_1107

familiar

Yes I think that I did talk to you before but now the DA refused all charges and now I think that I should be compensated for the all of the things that I have been through. My reputation has been scared from all of this and it has hurt me financially. Before I was still charged with a felony possession charge, but now that is taken care of. Do you think that I should sue?

L

loku

If the company did not live up to its own set policy on this, or if they handled it in an unreasonable manner and that resulted in loss to you, then you might have a good cause of action against them. I don’t remember the facts, so I don’t know enough to judge if you have a case at all or not.

M

Michelle_1107

thanks

Well I was arrested at work for a possession of a legal drug that they found in my purse. I was arrested then later, the charges dropped. But they fired me that night and the company policy is to suspend until an investigation. And then did not follow their own policy. Secondly, I dont think that they should have arrested me in the first place since it was a legal prescription. So there was no investigation, they just let me go without knowing if I was guilty or not. Now I know that Louisiana is a right to work state but I dont think that they can just ignore their own policy can they? Now all of my customers think that I am a drug addict. Is there anythig more that you might need to know?
Thanks again, Michelle

L

loku

I think it may make a difference if the legal drug was a prescription drug, and if it was whether the prescription was made out to you. Also the type of drug probably has a bearing on this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">