• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Confused about employment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Oldenmar

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

I have been working at my current job for going on 5 months. I'm a manager and work part time at the attached gas station of my restaurant.

First off, I hate my manager, but she likes me, so I don't start anything that would get me fired. I have never done anything wrong at my job and stay in uniform, all that jazz.

The first problem is that my manager does not allow breaks. You don't get breaks we will work 8 and a half hours without a break. Seems fishy to me, but whatever.

She recently threatened my job. I had been telling her about my uncle who's in the hospital (and might die soon) and told me that if I was scheduled, I would still need to come in unless I found someone else to work for me, as she has decided she will no longer work for anyone anymore (someone screwed her over before) is there any legality in her saying she will fire me if I don't come in when scheduled for a family medical emergency like this?

Thanks!

justalayman

Well, it seems Wisconsin has no legally required breaks nor is there a federal requirement for any.

FMLA would not apply to your situation due to it being your uncle and the Wisconsin medical leave proviso would not apply either, so, to your basic question; can they threaten to fire you?; yes, they can and they can actually fire you as well.

Betty

Wi. state law *recommends* meal breaks of 30 min. close to the usual meal time or near middle of shift (shifts of more than 6 hrs. w/o a meal break should be avoided) - however, they are *not required*.

Yes, you can be fired if your employer requests that you work & you do not do so.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If you are fired for refusing to work when and at what job you are told to? That's a tossup - it will depend on the examiner. I wouldn't put money either way.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">