• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Confused about my employment status - IC?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cfvincent

What is the name of your state?NH

I just got some advice from another forum, and am now checking in here for more information. I work for a non-profit literacy foundation. I perform all the duties of a regular functions of an employee (work in an office, have regular office hours, using computers and office equipment provided by the foundation.) However, when it comes to my paycheck, I submit an invoice for hours worked and am paid in full - no taxes removed. I realize that I'll pay my share when I submit my taxes for this year.

My question: does this make me an independent contractor or am I an actual employee? Please feel free to ask more questions as I'm not sure if I've explained myself.

Beth3

They're treating you as an independent contractor but it sounds like you should be treated as an employee. Since there's no one set of rules to use in determining who qualifies for IC status, I suggest you discuss your situation with your State's Department of Labor.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">