• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Consent to Background Check

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

recently7

What is the name of your state? Texas

In order for an employer to legally do a background check, is signing a consent/ release form required? If a driving record is checked, will non-traffic violations appear? Thank you for your help.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
In order for an employer to legally do a background check, is signing a consent/ release form required?

Yes if a third party is going to run the check for the employer; no if the employer is going to do the check themselves.

If a driving record is checked, will non-traffic violations appear?

That depends on what information is requested.

Crazed98

I don't believe non-traffic violations are ever really check most aren't even recorded.

I applied for a job at a rent a car company and when they did their backround check they didn't find any of my non-traffic violations but then again they didn't even bother asking if I had any.

Basically if someone really wants to find out they will but it would cost too much money and they usually aren't concerned with the non-traffic violations.

purple2

While I understand you had one lucky experience at the car rental place, I disagree with the generalization made based upon it.

I don't believe non-traffic violations are ever really check most aren't even recorded. ...Basically if someone really wants to find out they will but it would cost too much money and they usually aren't concerned with the non-traffic violations.

Criminal records are "recorded". Some (many) employers do check employees' backgrounds, and they are very interested in things beyond speeding tickets. It is costly to do checks, but is much less costly than hiring people with a propensity to commit crimes on the job. Many employers realize that.

Beth3

Heck, it's not even costly to do State level criminal checks any more. My State's justice department has a website that anyone can access and view anyone's criminal records and civil actions for the past 10 years. All you need is the person's full name. Having a birthdate makes it considerably easier however.

I can't imagine mine is the only State with a feature like this.

Doing a broader check (all States and federal) would require outside assistance and there would be a cost associated however.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">