• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

In considering Unemployment Insurance, what is considered quiting for "good cause"?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jdthiele

In considering Unemployment Insurance, what is considered quiting for "good cause"?

What is the name of your state? NY
Here is the situation. I have been employed for this company for 4 months (this, July would be the 5th) I am a telemarketer, I work on base plus comission. Base pay is $8.40 an hour (that hasnt changed) they changed the comission payout standards (aka the minimum number of sales to get paid comission) Before you needed 15 - 1x sales and 5 - 2x sales so basically you needed 20 sales just to get comission. Minimum comission was avaerage ~$300 give or take. They have since changed it to 26 sales reguardless of what and you get $50, 27 sales will get you $75, 28 will get you $150 then it gets broken down into a per sale multiplier and keeps going up. So basically They made it much harder (and believe me in this business sales dont come easy, but iv always made my number) I KNOW i will not make my number and I will be let go of rather shortly (if your not on track to make your number you will be let go) My question is, if I quit, would the above be "good cause" for quiting and would I still be able to collect unemployment insurance benefits? My other question is if I get let go for not making sales, is that for cause termination and can I still collect UI benefits? I appricate the time whomever reads this and responds with an answer, thank you.

Sincerely:

Jason T.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Every state's laws are different and the only one who can give you a definite answer would be someone from the NY UC office. However, in most states, the answer would be as follows:

1.) "if I quit, would the above be "good cause" for quiting and would I still be able to collect unemployment insurance benefits?" No. In most states, quitting because of changed compensation is not good cause to quit and you would NOT be eligible for benefits. They are not going to pay you to quit so that you have NO income as opposed to SOME income. However, if you remain on the job at the reduced compensation, you MAY (I can't guarantee it because law varies from state to state) be eligible for partial compensation to make up some of the difference.

2.) if I get let go for not making sales, is that for cause termination and can I still collect UI benefits? "For cause" termination is not one-size-fits-all. There is a difference between termination for a performance cause, and termination for misconduct cause. In the majority of states, someone who is fired for performance reasons is still eligible for unemployment. So yes, if you were fired for not making sales, the chances are good that you would be eligible for unemployment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">