• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Consulting assignment clause

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mehul_777

What is the name of your state? New Jersey

Hi,

I work for a New Jersey based consulting company. My employer brought me here on a H1B visa, they had sent an invitation letter saying that I will be employed with them and working for on of their client projects. But, when I landed here, they said that I will be a consultant and will be paid only if I am on a project on hourly basis. They used to market my resume and I gave interviews and got placed.

They have sub-contracted me to company A, which inturn has sub-contacted to company B and company B has placed me on a project with their client. My employer has made me sign an consulting assigment agreement which says that during the assigment and for a period of one year after I cant render services direclty or indirectly or through some other consulting company to the client. In the agreement it is mentioned that an addendum will be given for evey assignment. They addendum is nothing but details about the client and hourly rate which is printed on the company letter head. Whereas in the agreement which I have signed no client name is mentioned and it just says "above mentioned client".

Now, I have got an offer from company X, which is ready to transfer my H1B visa. Can I still work for the same client if company X sub-contracts me to company B?

What I would like to clarify is when my employer says that I cant render service to the client, does he mean the end client? Can he enfore me not to work for the end-client, even though its not a direct client of my employer?

Is these kind of agreements valid for an employee?

Thanks in advance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">