• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Consulting Job & Background Check

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

skadoo323

What is the name of your state? MD

My friend recently was offered a consulting job in the computer area. They did send him an offer letter. Although the part that is kinda bugging him is that in the offer letter it states that random background checks can be done and if needed he will have to apply for a security clearance. His first assignment does not require a security clearance. This assignment is to last for close to 9 months I think. He has a PBJ on his record and he said his lawyer is going to try to get this expunged off of his record, but the lawyer said in MD it is hard to get PBJ expunged. I do not know how true that is. The company he would be at for his first assignment I think conducts a background check as well. I am guessing the consulting firm already completed a background check and then made an offer to him. He hasn't accepted this offer yet and is kind of stuck in deciding what to do. Any advice that could be given to me and passed to him will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

If it was ok to accept this offer, should he notify the consulting firm of his background? When filling out the job application there was a question about has he ever been convicted and his lawyer said that PBJ means you have not been convicted.

Last edited:

Beth3

All PBJ means to me is peanutbutter and jelly.

If your friend is concerned that any criminal record he has may prove to be a problem for this employer at a future date, then he should tell them about it now so that nobody (including your friend) has any unpleasant surprises down the road at such time as a background check is conducted.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">