• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Continues to be trouble

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

michellelm

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana
Ex-hausband and I owned a business together in Indiana for about 4 years. He bought me out after the divorce and I am now seeking a new job, which requires me to list the business so that I don't have a huge blank in my employment history. However, ex either refuses to acknowledge he's ever heard of me or gives me a poor reference. What do I do?

pattytx

Do you have copies of the tax returns the business filed? Partnership papers? Anything to prove you were an owner of the business?

If it was that acrimonious a divorce, certainly a prospective employer would understand that a good reference is not going to be forthcoming. How about some of your customers?

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana
Ex-hausband and I owned a business together in Indiana for about 4 years. He bought me out after the divorce and I am now seeking a new job, which requires me to list the business so that I don't have a huge blank in my employment history. However, ex either refuses to acknowledge he's ever heard of me or gives me a poor reference. What do I do?
You were self-employed at a business you no longer own. State that as a fact in your employment history.

ecmst12

You could conceivably sue your ex for slander...but that's a pain in the neck, takes a long time and a lot of money for the lawyer, not the best option. You could ALSO hire a lawyer just to write him a threatening letter, which won't cost you very much but might be effective.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">