• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this contract enforceable?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

unsureinct

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I'm in CT. The company that I work for was acquired about two weeks ago. We were given 3 days to fill out packets of paperwork and we were told by HR that the packet was not a "non-compete" and that it was only a temporary employment agreement for the next 60 days. We were also told that we were free and clear to look for employment elsewhere as they do not have enough positions available to offer to everyone, but not signing the paperwork would be tantamount to walking out the door, no paycheck, no severance, no unemployment. Since I couldn't find another job in 3 days, I felt that I had no choice but to sign. A week later I received an offer with another company, gave my two weeks notice, and was then informed by a "friend" that I could be sued if I accept the position. Part of the paperwork that we were required to sign was a nonsolicitation and nondisclosure agreement that bars me from performing my job for 2 years - whether the company that acquired mine ever offered me a position or not. And it hadn't, btw. Specifically, it bars me from soliciting (I work in marketing) or even providing services (also in customer service) to any client that has been a client of theirs within the past 12 months. The problem is that in my line of work, every other prospective employer will very likely pick up clients of theirs during this transition and the company that acquired mine has the vast majority of the business in the state (and country), so it's impossible for me to do my job if I can't market to their clients or former clients for 2 years. My question is - is this contract enforceable? Is there any chance that I can get out of this contract that I feel I had no choice but to sign?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Um, we have no idea. How could we? We haven't read it.

Take it to an attorney in CT who can read the entire thing. We cannot judge the enforceability of a contract we have not read.

unsureinct

Right. I should have been more clear. I'm not expecting a hard and fast answer, just hoping for general opinions on whether or not it would be worth the expense of hiring a lawyer or simply backing down.

pattytx

It would be worth paying an attorney at least for their opinion. The Lawyer's Referral Service of your county Bar Association can refer you to attorneys versed in contract and employment law with whom you can get a consultation for a very reasonable fee. I don't think we have any CT attorneys who regularly respond here and noncompete agreements are subject to specific state laws. I will say, though, that the clause you mention is not all that uncommon.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">