• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

contract issue "to give or not to give...notice"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

panichello13

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?New Jersey
I have been a contracted employee in a small school for 4 years. I have a 10 month contract during the regular school year with the option to work hourly through the summer.
My contract is a "year to Year" contract that is not automatically renewed annually (isn't that nice). Anyway my contract states that either party (me or the boss) can end this contract with 30 days notice (unless there is some major problem at work).

Now, my contract ran up to 6/30 (though the last day of school was on 6/11). On 6/10 (the day before the last day of the regular school year) I received a letter from my boss stating that he would not be renewing my contract for the fall, nor would he employ me for the summer. Though I had the opportunity several weeks earlier to sign up for the summer and no hint of my impending unemployment was uttered.

My question is:
Is he required to give me the 30 days stated in his own contract? or can he get over on the fact that he is merely refusing to RENEW my contract,, not necessarily ending my current contract?

Incidentally, I was not terminated for any job performance issues. By his own words my boss found me to be a "great employee".

*This is just the first of many questions I will have about my contract and my former employer of 4 years behavior.

Any help will be greatly appreciated : :confused:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
As I have said numerous times in the past and will no doubt have to say numerous times in future, no one on a message board can answer questions about your contract, since we have not read it. The EXACT wording counts, as does the context. So does state and local law. You will have to take the ENTIRE document to a local lawyer to determine if the contract terms have been breached.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">