• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contract with Lawyer?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DebraHart

What is the name of your state? Indiana
I rec'd a call back from a lawyer here in Indiana for a wrongful termination case my husband might have with his former employer. The lawyer told us we have to send him the money and our paper work we had on our case, for him to decide if he could take the case or not :confused: . We send all the info & money to him 2 weeks later. We rec'd a call from the lawyer after he went over the paper work and cashed the check. He told us we needed another letter from a doctor my husband went to see (dealing with the case). Which we got and faxed to the lawyers office the next day.

Now it has been 3 weeks and we have not heard a word from this lawyer :mad: . My question is this... If the lawyer took our money does that mean he IS our lawyer? Should he have sent us something to sign stating he was going to take our case :confused: ? Or did we just loose $750 for nothing :( ? Can we get our money back if he does not take the case? The lawyer is not in the same city as we are, there were no lawyers in our town that dealt with this kind of case.

seniorjudge

Q: My question is this... If the lawyer took our money does that mean he IS our lawyer?

A: Yes.

Q: Should he have sent us something to sign stating he was going to take our case ?

A: Yes.

Q: Or did we just loose $750 for nothing ?

A: I hope not.

Q: Can we get our money back if he does not take the case?

A: I hope so.

This lawyer sounds like a loser; fire him (in writing) and demand your money back (in writing) and demand your file (in writing). Send everything to him certified mail, return receipt requested.

Do not talk to him on the phone. Do everything in writing.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">