• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contract not renewed while under DR's care

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

computurguy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee

I was called on 6/15/2011 and told my contract was not being renewed. I am still under Dr care and have not been released for work. Is there anything that can be done. Did they break any laws by releasing me while still recovering from surgery ?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I still have not received written conformation from my employer as of 6/19/2011.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

commentator

Okay, more information please. What type of job is this, what type of contract did you have? Were you eligible for and were you on FMLA?

The first thing I would do, quickly, like a bunny rabbit, is file for unemployment benefits as soon as I am officially terminated. Even before I had been released by the doctor. As soon as you find out what is your official "last day on the books," then the next day, file for unemployment benefits. This will set up your claim in quarters when you have wages and probably will serve you well. Once the claim is filed and set up, then your eligiblity can be established. Let go due to contract end is a simple lack of work claim, should be no issue in getting approved.

Whether or not this can be pursued any further, if they do terminate your contract at the end of the month, or as of whenever, which I am guessing may be June 30, which is when many government contracts and even private industry contracts end, go on and file for benefits at that time.

Betty

Also, in case you were eligible for FMLA, how long have you been off work so far?

Also, need answers to other questions asked. Thanks.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
"Being under a doctor's care" does not, in and of itself, provide you with any job protection whatsoever.

Were you under a contract of employment for a specific period of time? Did it expire?

If so, then unless the contract itself provided for a guaranteed renewal, they had no legal obligation to renew it regardless. Being on medical leave, or even FMLA, does not protect you from a termination that would have happened regardless.

computurguy

More info

Okay, more information please. What type of job is this, what type of contract did you have? Were you eligible for and were you on FMLA?

The first thing I would do, quickly, like a bunny rabbit, is file for unemployment benefits as soon as I am officially terminated. Even before I had been released by the doctor. As soon as you find out what is your official "last day on the books," then the next day, file for unemployment benefits. This will set up your claim in quarters when you have wages and probably will serve you well. Once the claim is filed and set up, then your eligiblity can be established. Let go due to contract end is a simple lack of work claim, should be no issue in getting approved.

Whether or not this can be pursued any further, if they do terminate your contract at the end of the month, or as of whenever, which I am guessing may be June 30, which is when many government contracts and even private industry contracts end, go on and file for benefits at that time.
I was employed for around 5 to 6 years. I was a HSST which means I helped fixed all things associated with technology in the school system. ( pulling wiring,hanging projectors and screens. Also up keep up or replace any technology items as needed. Climbing ladders and laying on my back in floor. ) basically any thing that helps adminstrators,teachers and students to help students learn. I have yet to receive my contract release in writing as of 6/20/2011.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">