• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contract Review

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Hjorrdis

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts

I am part of a 2-person department at a 12-employee company in Massachusetts. The other person in my department and I entered into a relationship, and kindly let the owner of the company know of our relationship. Since the employee handbook says that employees may not have such relationships, we wanted him to know. We were told he would have to talk to a lawyer and we may have to sign a waiver for the company so that in the event there was a lawsuit because of the relationship he would not be liable. We ended up getting a document which is Exhibit A, which we reluctantly signed since while mostly true, it stated that we agreed to a few things verbally which were never discussed with us. We preferred not to put up a fight. We were then presented with the following employment contract:

EMPLOYMENT - Google Docs

Since my significant other has worked at the company longer, his contract included a clause which requires him to give 90 days notice, while mine does not. This is the only difference in the two.

Since we expected to get a simple waiver of liability to sign, we are both kind of in shock. Neither of us has ever had to sign a contract before. We have both signed at-will employee agreements. While I signed a non-compete agreement when I began, he never has, as all of the knowledge and processes the company possesses came from him in the beginning.

Is there anything we should be wary of in this contract and should attempt to get changed?

We run a side business, so the one clause prohibiting us from working in our field outside of work will have to be removed, but we want to make sure we are covering our bases.

eerelations

We are unpaid volunteers here who can't spend the considerable amount of time required to review contracts. You should retain the services of an attorney and have him/her review your contract.

swalsh411

It's google docs so you're safe going there but I'm still not reading the whole thing unless I get bored out of my mind today.

Hjorrdis

Well I appreciate any time you are willing to give. I thought I would just post it and see what kind of response it gets in addition to the response from my attorney. Thank you for your time!

JustAPal00

You really have no choice but to sign. You currently have broken company policy and can be terminated. As an at will employee, you could have anyway, but now it would be easier.

swalsh411

I will tell you that you can't be an at-will employee and also required to give 90 days notice if you decide to leave. Those are mutually exclusive.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I am curious - what are the penalties for failure to give 90 day notice?

Mass_Shyster

I am curious - what are the penalties for failure to give 90 day notice?
I was kind of surprised at the 90 day notice by the employer for termination without cause.

The last employer I know of who gave advanced notice of a lay-off to specific employees suffered a rash of on the job back injuries.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">