• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contract Terminated with no notice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ninatsuki

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
New York

I am(think I am) an independent contractor in New York City. My contract(ending Nov 2012) was abruptly terminated with 0day notice. Am I eligible for any compensation?

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
New York

I am(think I am) an independent contractor in New York City. My contract(ending Nov 2012) was abruptly terminated with 0day notice. Am I eligible for any compensation?
It depends.

What does your contract say with regard to notice, early termination, and compensation in such a situation?

ninatsuki

It doesn't say anything about compensation for early termination. It just says that the notice has to be given in writing and both parties have to sign. I was not given any written notice. They just told me the company was closing down and the my service was no longer needed as of today.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">