• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

COntracted hours vs hours worked

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

usmailman

CONtracted hours vs hours worked

What is the name of your state?NC
I recently got a job with the US POSTAL MAIL AS a courier thru a courier service . the job was refered by the local county ESC . The job Description was approx . 5 and a half hours a day 16.54 per hour . Hours 5:15 am to 8 am and 5 pm to 7pm . after a month os screening to get a us mail badge I started the job and was told to report at 4:30am ,i did . that morning ended at 9:30 . 5 hours . then was told to report at 3:00pm . i did that ended 7:30pm . the nex day i reported as asked 4:30am. before leaving and after loading to go on the route i asked the boss why did a 5 and half hour job take over 9 hours . he said NO he was under contract to only pay 5 1/2 hours no matter how long i worked . I was Terminated on the spot ,Badge taken and no reason was given . The esc still think its a 5 1/2 hour a day job and they called me a lier . the route is 144 miles X evening 144 miles divide by 55 mph = 5.25 hours plus the time it takes to load the truck and and unload at 5 different post offices , the reverse in the evening . Have i got a case . I never signed a contract . :confused:

Last edited:

Beth3

I recently got a job with the US POSTAL MAIL AS a courier thru a courier service. So who was your employer? The courier service or the USPS? (In other words, where did your paychecks come from?)

usmailman

The Courier Service hired me but i had access and federal clearance to the post office hence the uspostal application and the fingerprinting background check to obtain a Badge to open the back doors of all the post offices. i worked exactly 1 and half day before i got terminated . He paid me 131.00 for 7.5 hours when i worked 14.9 hours with a personal check .He never gave me or the esc (employment security commission) a valid reason but i know it was me asking about the hours verse the pay he reported at the esc. I have reported him to the dept of labor with my compaint . The ESC told me approx 5.5 hours and a specifif time at 16.54 per hour told me i got paid from the time i drove the mail truck to the time i left work . The courier service boss whe is 72 also told me he wanted some one older and called me i didnt get along with the people at the post office workers and that i was tempermental . Lies and i know most of the people on the route anyways and am 48 and i was Kind and thoughtful the day and a half . So i think there is Wrongful Termination ,Age Discrimination Slander And wage fraud .have i got a case with a lawyer ?

Last edited:

usmailman

FOR YOUR INFORMATION: all bulk mail in nc is handled and distrubited to all the post offices by private courier services who bid on contracts for the job .No one is allowed on government property with out an ID badge from the postal service . which requires criminal check driving record fingerprints and then if all that checks out from the sbi and fbi you get the badge .

Last edited:

usmailman

I guess this is a tuff one huh ? I have consulted a local laywer and he said he thought he would have to file a lawsuit but didnt have the time to do the research and dumped me :( I was wrongfuly terminated , discriminated for my age slandered and there is wage fraud all in this case .free advice please on the wrongful termination .

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">