• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

contracted working hours

• Thread starter Simon Carpenter
  • Start date

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Simon Carpenter

I am a field engineer with contracted hours of 9.00 to 17.30 each day with 1 hour for lunch. My company expects me to be at the stores before 8.30 to collect parts so that i can be at the customers for 9.00. The milage is claimed as business but not the time which can involve a 2 hour drive.
Can my company force me to work these extra hours for no pay.

S

smileyhapy

I have worked contract for several years. Unless the company has contracted you in writing that they will pay the mileage and the time it takes you to go to work, you are out of luck there. What I do is keep a log of the hours that I spend traveling and the mileage and for my taxes, I put the hours plus the mileage and multiply it by what the government allows on mileage and I have received a refund every year. It is a pain that you have to be there two hours early, I fully understand. Before I even get started, I had to drive 2 hours to get there. It was not compensated either. I just considered it my commute to work but used it as a business expense on my taxes. I hope this helps.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">