• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contractor Concern

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

3465Dink

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland

Hello, I am an Information Technology (Software Engineer) with a very large company. Recently the three year contract that I was on came to an end and our HR began attempts (rather late in the process) to find us new positions within the company. I began searching for new positions (internally and externally) on my own and received two offers of employment from external companies and none from my company. I informed my company that I needed to know if they had anything or I would be submitting my resignation. Well, less than 24 hours before I was to submit my resignation, my company came to me with what seemed the perfect position in Research and Development. I respectfully declined the two external offers and accepted my company's offer which never materialized. I am now on overhead...not billing...and being threatened with termination. I know I am probably just SOL but would like any advice on possible recourse against my company. FYI, all employment discussed here is "at will".

ecmst12

If you are unable to revisit any of your previous offers and end up unemployed, you can speak with a lawyer about a case for "detrimental reliance". It's not a do-it-yourself prospect or a sure thing, and it probably won't be quick or cheap, but you can consult a lawyer about what kind of case you'd have. There is nothing in employment law which would protect you from this type of situation, the only potential recourse would be through contract law.

3465Dink

Thanks for your response. I appears that the "at-will" conditions exposes me to the whims of my employer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">