• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

contractor or not?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

carid

What is the name of your state?caifornia. I am titled "Independent contractor" I am a massage therapist. I have worked at the same place of employment for a year, under the impression that eventually I would be an employee. They have mandatory meetings I have never been paid for, mandatory trainings I pay the trainer for. I am told I must take massages at certain times. Intimidated into working when I am ill. Told I must work on ill clients. I have recently been told I will be fired for taking my clients 5 minutes too long in a massage. I was told I would be paid for massage events, where I would do countless chair massages, and I have never been compensated.They are always making me feel if I do not do these free events they will let me go. what can I do to hold them responsible for this itimidation?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The first thing to do is find out whether or not you actually qualify as an IC or if you should be classed as an employee, because your options are very different depending on the answer to that question.

I don't have it to hand, but I think Beth has a link to a list of questions that, once answered, establish which you are. If she doesn't, I'll try to track it down for you later.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">