• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contractual obligation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RSeuring73

Illinois. My husband and I own a restaurant. When we opened he signed an
agreement to bring on a salesperson and his 'manager'. I did not sign the contract. This man and his salesperson were supposed to generate a half million dollars in sales within the first year. We were to pay the 'manager' 800.00 a month and a salary amount to the salesperson plus expenses.
By the third month with nothing generated we were going down fast. By month four we had to end the agreement. We were behind on the payments to the 'manager'. We told him we would pay him eventually even though we
had reaped very minimal benefits from his expertise. He is threatening legal
action. Is this contract binding without my signature? We have a silent partner as well and he didn't sign the contract either. We are just trying to
keep our business going at this point and are so behind on other pressing
obligations that this situation and payment has had to take a back seat. We are trying to avoid bankruptcy at all costs.

pattytx

Unless it could be deemed an implied verbal contract, probably not. However, you will need to consult a local attorney, because contract law is very case- and state-specific.

Regarding the Manager position, an $800/month salary is not enough to make the employee exempt from overtime. As a matter of fact, if he was working 40 hours per week, it isn't even minimum wage, contract not withstanding.

RSeuring73 said:
Illinois. My husband and I own a restaurant. When we opened he signed an
agreement to bring on a salesperson and his 'manager'. I did not sign the contract. This man and his salesperson were supposed to generate a half million dollars in sales within the first year. We were to pay the 'manager' 800.00 a month and a salary amount to the salesperson plus expenses.
By the third month with nothing generated we were going down fast. By month four we had to end the agreement. We were behind on the payments to the 'manager'. We told him we would pay him eventually even though we
had reaped very minimal benefits from his expertise. He is threatening legal
action. Is this contract binding without my signature? We have a silent partner as well and he didn't sign the contract either. We are just trying to
keep our business going at this point and are so behind on other pressing
obligations that this situation and payment has had to take a back seat. We are trying to avoid bankruptcy at all costs.
I have the utmost respect for Patty and I think she is right to suggest getting an attorney because this part gets to me:

he signed an
agreement to bring on a salesperson and his 'manager'
"signed" being the word that I wish I had the magic that some people have to make red.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">